Friday, November 14, 2008

4 babies, 0 jobs, 1 hospital stay

That's right we are that unemployed couple with 4 babies stuck in the hospital (Joe the plumber has nothing on us!), all we are missing is a Jeff Foxworthy CD. Just to clarify, AJ's last day of work was Thursday and I am starting my new job on Monday so I am not really unemployed, its just funnier if you say I am. And no worries we will not be without insurance either we are covered completely, actually due to the massive number of doctor visits this stay is on the house thanks to a low yearly maximum. Its kind of like a one star, all-inclusive resort vacation, do I know how to treat a lady or what.

Anyway, those who haven't found out as of yet Amy-Jo was admitted to the hospital on Thursday. She was having some pelvic pain and called the doctor who had us come right in. They found her cervix had went from doing great at 3.5 cm on Monday to doing very bad .95 cm on Thursday. For those who are not as familiar with the female anatomy as I have become, the cervix is the only thing holding the babies in. When you watch ER (for those under 25 asking what is this ER show use Grey's Anatomy) and they say she is dilating they are talking about the cervix. So this shrinking so early on is not good, not good at all.

The treatment for just such a problem is first and foremost immediate bed rest. I think if they would have had a bed in the doctors office they would have put her in it! Second they had to put a cerclage in. A cerclage is a stitch that goes around the cervix like a purse string and they tighten it to help keep the cervix closed. Too much info I know but if I don't say everyone will ask. She just got out of surgery and the doctor said she did great. I haven't seen her yet as she is still in recovery. She will be in the hospital until at least Monday when they will reevaluate the cervix and make one of two calls. 1) She can go home but is on a strict bed rest - this means no sitting, walking, etc. 2) She is on strict bed rest at the hospital. Obviously option 2 would be a worst case scenario. They would potentially have to keep her here until the babies come, which is still 2+ months away. The doctors seem pretty sure she can go home, but they are no where near guaranteeing this.

I will keep everyone posted through the weekend.


Stephanie said...

Praying for a quick recovery...and no hospital yet!
Thanks for the update!

Jenna said...

We hope you get to go home Amy! We have been praying for yall!

Misty said...

Keeping you in my prayers! Let me know if there is anything you need or if I can help with anything.
Take care,

Big Cousin Heidi said...

OMG !!!! You are right Brandon that is not good at all (sorry the nurse in me is coming out). Please let Amy Jo know that her older cousin Heidi is praying for you (to keep it together) her to get to come home and for Logan, Cody , Elizabeth and Madison (gopod with names) so that they will be safe.

minshewmom said...

Keeping you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Amy-Jo, Brandon, and babies,
Thinking of all of you and praying for a speedy recovery. We love you all and talk with you soon.
love and hugs---Nana & Papa